Pre-Planned Gardens are the perfect way to bring professional garden design to your home. We first introduced our "Gardens in a Box" over a decade ago and despite our efforts, we sell out every season. Our Pre-Planned Gardens have been professionally designed by some of the biggest names in horticulture, including David Salman, founder and chief horticulturist for High Country Gardens. Each Pre-Planned Garden includes reliable, easy-to-grow plant varieties, care instructions, and a convenient Pre-Planned Garden Map to make planting easy.
Each Pre-Planned Garden comes with a Garden Map that will provide you with a layout for the optimal planting arrangement. It accounts for the space needed for each plant at maturity.
- Find the right spot in your landscape for your garden’s light and soil requirements.
- Measure out the area needed in your yard – see your garden map for square footage.
- Give your garden at least 12” of additional space on the front and sides.
- Using your garden map, measure enough space for each plant, and lay out your plants. Each circle represents a mature perennial plant – resist the urge to place young plants too close together!
- If you need to make adjustments for your unique garden space, that's not a problem! Generally, the best strategy for designing a garden is to plant your tallest plants in the back, and transition to lower plants in the middle, and lowest plants and groundcover in the front. That way, you’ll be able to see all of your plants in bloom.
- Dig a hole for each plant that’s about the same depth, and twice as wide, as its pot.
- Remove each plant from its pot by holding the plant in place, turning upside down, and tapping or gently squeezing to loosen the root ball.
- Gently rough out the sides and bottom of the root ball with your fingers or the plant tag to encourage root growth.
- Plant with the top of the root ball level with the ground.
- Fill in soil and gently press down with your fingers.
- Be sure to place the plant tag close to the plant for reference. Repeat until your whole garden is planted!
- After planting, water each plant and the surrounding soil thoroughly.
Learn More about planting perennials from David Salman in our Gardening Videos