by David Salman
Cottage gardening is a very popular both in England and the US. The mix of low-care perennials, culinary herbs and annuals combined a natural, informal style, is for many, nostalgic of their grandmother or mother's gardens. Not only is the cottage garden a paradise for songbirds and pollinators (hummingbirds, bees and butterflies) with its diverse mix of flowers, but it's also an excellent source for cut flower bouquets for the house and spices for cooking.
I feel It's important to design an informal layout of curving paths around which the garden is created. Some design ideas to make the cottage garden more livable include:
- A bench - Provides a welcome retreat among the flowers for the gardener.
- A birdbath - Nothing is better than water for attracting birds.
- Small growing flowering trees for light shade and fragrant spring flowers.
- Crushed gravel paths - gravel keeps down the mud and creates an excellent environment for planting the edges of the path with colorful perennial groundcovers.
- A not-too-tall fence or wall that encloses the cottage garden - this helps to create a more intimate setting and provide support for flowering vines and climbing roses.
Enrich the Soil and Use Regionally Suitable Plants
As with any garden, a healthy living soil is the garden's foundation in which a wide variety of plant species will thrive. Prepare the soil with a mix of high-quality compost and Yum Yum Mix fertilizer at recommended rates to ensure that the drainage is adequate and that the soil is fertile. The right mix of regionally suitable plants is the other crucial part of the equation. Chose plants that are adapted to your region's climate, soil and precipitation. This is an essential consideration, as for example, the cottage garden plant palette used in England or New England will be different from what grows best in the Great Plains or the Intermountain West. There is some overlap, but a "one size fits all" approach to plant selection doesn't apply to such a huge continent like North America.
Go Tall, Medium and Short
Planting too many tight, low mounding growers is counter to the look we try to achieve. Using flowers that re-seed themselves are also a plus in the cottage garden. Over time, this will give the garden a more natural, spontaneous look and help to populate the garden with more plants. It's the gardener's job to do some "editing" as the re-seeders spread so to maintain space for the other long-lived plants that stay put.
As for plant placement, the cottage garden needs a good mix of small, medium and tall plants to be scattered throughout the garden. Tall growers should be scattered in the middle and back of the beds. These tall growers help to emphasize a more informal feel and help create the look of barely controlled abundance.
A Short List of Basic Cottage Garden Plants for East of the Mississippi
- Achillea (Yarrow)
- Centranthus (Jupiter's Beard)
- Delphinium (Delphinium)
- Echinacea (Purple Coneflower)
- Leucanthemum (Shasta Daisy)
- Lilium (Lily) - tall Asiatic cultivars
- Monarda (Beebalm)
- Nepeta (Catmint)
- Papaver (Oriental Poppy)
- Phlox paniculata (Tall Garden Phlox)
- Salvia (Sage) - Old World nemerosa and sylvestris cultivars
- Tall Aster (Aster)
Plants for Western Cottage Gardens (Arid conditions, alkaline soils, windy)
Flowering Perennials (with selected species and cultivars)
- Achillea (Yarrow) - 'Coronation Gold'
- Agastache (Humingbird Mint) - 'Ava', Desert Sunrise®, 'Blue Boa', 'Blue Fortune'
- Alcea (Hollyhock)
- Allium (Ornamental Onion) - 'Millenium'
- Aquilegia (Columbine) - A. chrysantha
- Aster (Aster) - 'Lady in Black'
- Callirhoe (Poppy Mallow)
- Centranthus (Jupiter's Beard)
- Coreopsis (Tickseed) - 'Zagreb', 'Moonbeam'
- Diascia (Twinspur) - 'Coral Canyon'
- Digitalis (Foxglove) - 'Polka Dot Princess', D. thapsi Spanish Peaks®, D. obscura Sunset®
- Echinacea (Purple Coneflower) - E. paradoxa, 'Rocky Top Hybrid', E. purpurea
- Echinops (Globe Thistle)
- Eryngium (Seaholly)
- Gaura (Appleblossom Grass)
- Leucanthemum> (Shasta Daisy)
- Linum (Flax) - L. narbonense, L. perenne 'Appar'
- Monarda (Beebalm) - M. fistulosa
- Nepeta (Catmint) - 'Walker's Low', 'Select Blue'
- Papaver (Oriental Poppy) - various cultivars
- Penstemon (Beardtongue) - 'Dark Towers', P. palmeri
- Phlomis (Jerusalem Sage) - P. russeliana, P. cashmeriana
- Salvia (Sage) - S. reptans 'Autumn Sapphire', Raspberry Delight®, 'May Night', 'Caradonna'
- Solidago (Goldenrod) - 'Fireworks', 'Wichita Mountains'
- Zauschneria (Hummingbird Trumpet or Fire Challis) - 'Sky Island Orange', Orange Carpet®
Perennial Culinary Herbs (with selected species and cultivars)
- Lavandula (Lavender) - French hybrid 'Gros Bleu', 'Grosso', English 'Sharon Roberts', 'Buena Vista', 'Miss Katherine', 'Vera'
- Rosmarinus (Rosemary) - cold hardy 'Madeline Hill', 'Arp'
- Salvia (Garden Sage) - Salvia officinalis cultivars
- Thymus (Thyme) English thyme cultivars
Asclepias incarnata ‚Rose‚ (Swamp Milkweed) is a showy pink blooming Asclepias species that is a food plant for Monarch butterfly caterpillars and a nectar source for ad...Learn MoreRose Swamp Milkweed Rose Swamp Milkweed Asclepias incarnataAs low as $13.99 Sale $12.59Per Plant - 5" Deep PotAsclepias incarnata 'Rose' (Swamp Milkweed) is a showy pink blooming Asclepias species that is a food plant for Monarch butterfly caterpillars and a nectar source for adult butterflies. Also known as Swamp Milkweed, it grows best in moist or wet soils.
Sedum telephium ‚Autumn Fire‚ (Stonecrop) is an improved form of Sedum ‚Autumn Joy‚ that is larger growing, has larger flower heads and is longer blooming. Th...Learn MoreAutumn Fire Sedum Autumn Fire Sedum Sedum 'Autumn Fire'As low as $11.99 Sale $10.79Per Plant - 5" Deep PotSedum telephium 'Autumn Fire' (Stonecrop) is an improved form of Sedum 'Autumn Joy' that is larger growing, has larger flower heads and is longer blooming. The flat heads of rose-pink flowers appear in late summer. Leave the faded flowers on the plant for added winter interest.
Verbena peruviana ‚Red Devil‚ (Perennial Verbena) is a perennial variety that grows as a groundcover and blooms all summer with a dazzling display of brilliant red flower...Learn MoreRed Devil Perennial Verbena Red Devil Perennial Verbena Verbena peruvianaAs low as $11.99Per Plant - 5" Deep PotVerbena peruviana 'Red Devil' (Perennial Verbena) is a perennial variety that grows as a groundcover and blooms all summer with a dazzling display of brilliant red flowers. 3" tall x 15-18" wide.
2-3„ tall x 18-24„ wide. Teucrium aroanium (Gray Creeping Germander) blooms with fragrant honey scented pink flowers in summer that are held over equally fragrant thin li...Learn MoreGray Creeping Germander (Teucrium) Gray Creeping Germander (Teucrium) Teucrium aroaniumAs low as $10.99 Sale $8.79Per Plant - 2.5" Pot2-3" tall x 18-24" wide. Teucrium aroanium (Gray Creeping Germander) blooms with fragrant honey scented pink flowers in summer that are held over equally fragrant thin linear gray leaves. The plant is an excellent small scale groundcover for hot, sunny sites in well drained soil. Drought resistant/drought tolerant plant (xeric).
Caryopteris clandonensis ‚Dark Knight‚ (Bluebeard) blooms with a profusion of dark blue flowers in late summer when few other shrubs are flowering. Its modest size makes ...Learn MoreDark Knight Caryopteris Dark Knight Caryopteris Caryopteris clandonensis 'Dark Knight'As low as $12.99 Sale $11.04Per Plant - 5" Deep PotCaryopteris clandonensis 'Dark Knight' (Bluebeard) blooms with a profusion of dark blue flowers in late summer when few other shrubs are flowering. Its modest size makes it very useful in smaller yards. A fantastic nectar source for bees and butterflies. Drought resistant/drought tolerant plant (xeric).
Chamaebatiaria millefolium (Fernbush) is a beautiful native shrub that brightens the garden in mid-summer with big clusters of bright white flowers. It also has attractive dried seed...Learn MoreFernbush (Chamaebatiaria) Fernbush (Chamaebatiaria) Chamaebatiaria millefoliumAs low as $14.99 Sale $11.99Per Plant - 5" Deep PotChamaebatiaria millefolium (Fernbush) is a beautiful native shrub that brightens the garden in mid-summer with big clusters of bright white flowers. It also has attractive dried seed heads and olive-green foliage. Drought resistant perennial plant (xeric).
Callirhoe involucrata (Poppy Mallow or Wine Cups) is a native wildflower that decorates the garden with a summer-long display of bright magenta-pink flowers. A sprawling grower, Call...Learn MorePurple Poppy Mallow (Callirhoe) Purple Poppy Mallow (Callirhoe) Callirhoe involucrataAs low as $12.99 Sale $11.69Per Plant - 5" Deep PotCallirhoe involucrata (Poppy Mallow or Wine Cups) is a native wildflower that decorates the garden with a summer-long display of bright magenta-pink flowers. A sprawling grower, Callirhoe involucrata's long branches spread out across the ground to create a colorful mat of flowers and foliage. Drought resistant perennial plant (xeric).
Lavandula angustifolia ‚Buena Vista‚ (English Lavender) has a compact form with deep blue bi-colored flower spikes. A hard-to-find, twice blooming cultivar flowers in lat...Learn MoreBuena Vista English Lavender Buena Vista English Lavender Lavandula angustifolia 'Buena Vista'As low as $13.99 Sale $11.89Per Plant - 5" Deep PotLavandula angustifolia 'Buena Vista' (English Lavender) has a compact form with deep blue bi-colored flower spikes. A hard-to-find, twice blooming cultivar flowers in late spring and again in September. Sweetly fragrant flowers and foliage. Drought resistant/drought tolerant plant (xeric).
© All articles are copyrighted by High Country Gardens. Republishing an entire High Country Gardens blog post or article is prohibited without written permission. Please feel free to share a short excerpt with a link back to the article on social media websites, such as Facebook and Pinterest.