Once the old lawn is gone or you are planting into bare soil, there are two ways to plant the plugs:
- You can plant into bare soil that has been enriched with compost and other natural or organic fertilizers
- You can plant directly into dead turf that is thoroughly dead using the Drill and Fill Method (see below). It is NOT recommended that plugs be planted into a live lawn.
Prestige Buffalo Grass Plugs is disease and insect resistant, as well as drought and moisture tolerant making it a great low-maintenance lawn for southern areas.
Drill and Fill with Plugs
If you have killed the existing lawn by methods 2 or 3 (see above), you can simply scalp the dead lawn by mowing it on the lowest lawn mower setting. Then you plant through the old lawn by drilling shallow holes, placing the plug into the hole and stepping on it to set it. This saves a lot of work and minimizes weeding as the plugs establish themselves, rooting as they spread across the old, dead grass.
Using a water drill to place the grass plugs.
Customer Tips For Soil Prep and Using A Water Drill To Plant Plugs:
"I think the advantage of the water drilling does a couple of things like pushing water down 8" inches and gives the plants a good passive watering. Also, it is a lot easier on your back. I did around 500 plugs and the time was about 5 hours. If you have a friend or two you could get the job quicker." -- Customer Erik L.
- The old grass was killed, then tilled and raked level.
- Installed drip soaker lines in a grid with 12"x12" spacing.
- Used a root water feeder to water drill the holes (30 at a time). This method works particularly well if you have very hard soil.
- Used a section of 3/4 PVC with a coupler and inserted it into each hole that was water drilled.
- Dipped all plugs into "Organic Plant Magic" before placing them in the holes and pinching the dirt around the plant.
Seeding a New Lawn
If you're going to seed a new lawn, rototill the old lawn with the addition of compost and Yum Yum Mix to create a seedbed. Sow at the recommended rate.