Save $5, $15 or $25 Extra On Your Order - Ends 5/23/18
Gift Certificates |
Email Sign-Up |
Mail Sign-Up |
Grow a sustainable lawn that is green, resilient, drought-tolerant and can handle just about anything.
The perfect solution to high traffic areas.
Compare grass types with our lawn comparison chart.
1. Choose a spot on your property that receives at least 6 hours of sun per day.
2. Prepare your soil by clearing the area of all existing growth.
3. Mix the Wildflower seeds with sand for better visibility.
4. After spreading the seed, we recommend compressing the seed into the soil.
5. After planting, give the area a good water.
Professionally-designed gardens make it easy to get a beautiful yard.
We first introduced our "Gardens in a Box" over a decade ago and despite our efforts, we sell out every season.
What’s included in a pre-planned garden?
Great plants to solve gardening challenges.
Professionally-designed flower bulb collections that will combine beautifully.
Spring-Planted Flower Bulbs (like Gladiolus & Dahlias) will bloom in summer.
Fall-Planted Flower Bulbs (like Tulips & Daffodils) will bloom in spring.
Show meShowing plants & seeds that grow in my area:
Annual Rye Grass (Lolium multiflorum) is an easy to grow and attractive grass that adds nitrogen to your soil. Use for quick erosion control or as a cover-crop. Annual.
Annual Rye Grass (Lolium multiflorum) is a wonderful and easy-to-grow grass that is great perfect for quick erosion control or to add nitrogen to your garden naturally. It prefers moist soil and blooms May to June. It may reseed itself in some areas.
Grass Seed Step-by-Step Planting Instructions
View Complete Grass Seed Planting Guide and Soil Preparation Guide
1. Preparing the area for planting. We recommend leveling the planting area as much as possible to eliminate high or low spots. Till the soil if possible about 4-6 inches deep, as the soil should be loose and clump-free before planting. If your area is already somewhat bare and even, we recommend skipping the tilling process as it can promote new weed growth or unwanted grass growth. You can then add Plant Success Granular Mycorrhizal Root Inoculant to improve seed germination.
2. After your soil is prepared, apply the seed at the recommended rate. Planting rates vary depending on the size of the seed:
To make sure you’re spreading the seed evenly, scatter 1/2 of the seed walking north to south and 1/2 of the seed walking east to west.
3. If you have poor soil, you could lightly apply an organic fertilizer after seeding, although this is not a necessary step for strong growth. We recommend using Yum Yum mix to amend your soil.
4. Many choose to cover their grass seed after planting, even though this is not necessary. If you do choose to cover your seed to help retain moisture and hold the seed in place, we recommend a maximum depth of 1/4”. You can cover the seed with topsoil, clean wheat or barley straw, or peat moss. Coated seeds such as Bermuda and Clover seeds should not be covered more than an 1/8” deep.
5. Water gently and regularly, keeping the seeds moist until they begin to sprout. This could mean watering more than once a day if you’re having a dry spell. Once the seeds sprout, water deeply and less frequently. This helps to ensure a deep rooted, healthy lawn or meadow.
6. Do not mow until your lawn is at the recommended height. For most grasses, this is about 3-6 weeks after planting, but could be longer depending on growing conditions. Remember to be gentle when mowing the first few times -- the seedlings will be somewhat tender.
7. After mowing several times, you can apply an organic fertilizer to promote strong growth, but this is not a necessary step.
Remember: It may take weeks or even a month for the seeds to grow.
Most orders ship within 48 hours or less.
As soon as your order is placed you will receive a confirmation email. You will receive a second email the day your order ships telling you how it has been sent. Orders for in-season products ship within 5 business days. Depending upon your order date, we may hold your shipment to combine it with other products on your order, if applicable.
See our Shipping Information page for more detailed information. If you need express shipping or have any questions, please call Customer Service toll-free at (877) 270-5187 or Contact Us by email.
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone
Sign up for our newsletters and get a $5 coupon code.
Monday - Friday 7am - 7pm and Saturday 7am - 3pm MT
When you order from us, we guarantee that you will receive the hardiest plants, bulbs or seeds available, packed with care and ready to thrive in your garden. If you have followed our detailed planting and care instructions and you do not experience success, we will honor our satisfaction guarantee for up to one full year from delivery.
Learn more about Privacy and Security.
You are using an out-of-date browser. You will still be able to shop HighCountryGardens.com, but some functionality may not work unless you update to a modern browser. Update My Browser