Shady Oasis Container Garden
This pre-planned Shady Oasis Container Garden has (1) plant each of Scrophularia macrantha and Aquilegia chrysantha v. chaplinei 'Little Treasure', (2) plants of Heuchera sangunium 'Firefly' and (3) plants of Monardella macrantha 'Marian Sampson' for a total 7 plants. Each pre-planned garden comes with a simple planting diagram. Hardy in zones 6 - 9. Grown in zones 4-6 with special care. See below.
Container Garden Care:
- • Use a premium quality soil-less potting mix (NOT garden soil) to fill the container.
- • During the growing season, fertilize regularly with a fish emulsion based liquid fertilizer at least twice monthly (at recommended rates on the bottle).
- • Deadhead the plants as the flowers fade to keep them tidy and blooming.
- • In zones 4,5 and 6, provide winter protection by moving the pots into the garage before night temperatures drop into the low teens/single digits. In warmer zones 7-9, move the pot up against the east of north side of the house to protect the plants from excess sun.
- • Indoors or outdoors, water moderately once or twice per month so the soil doesn't get bone dry.
- • Leave the plants standing over the winter and clip them back hard in mid-spring before moving the pot outdoors for the next growing season.
|Common Name||Shady Oasis Container Garden|
|Botanical Name||Shady Oasis Container Garden|
|Zones||6, 7, 8, 9|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun, Morning Sun & Afternoon Shade|
|Mature Height||Heuchera sanguineum 'Firefly': 18" tall
Scrophularia macrantha: 36-48" tall
Monardella macrantha 'Marian Sampson': 3-4" tall
Aquilegia chrysantha 'Little Treasure': 15" tall
|Bloom Time||Mid spring to summer|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer, Fall|
|Soil Type||Compost Enriched Garden Loam Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Average, Drought Resistant / Waterwise|
|Amount of Rain||10 to 20", 20 to 30", 30 to 40"|
|Advantages||Attract Hummingbirds, Native, Extended Bloom Time (more than 4 weeks)|
|Special Groups||High Country Gardens Introduction|
|Ideal Region||Anywhere In The US, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, West, Pacific Northwest|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Soil Preparation: Remember that proper soil preparation is the key to healthy, vigorous blooming perennials. Use Yum Yum Mix and a high quality compost at recommended rates to prepare the soil. Inoculate the plant roots with Plant Success mycorrhizal inoculant. Planting: Plant according to the mature size of the plant. Don’t be tempted to put the plants too close based on their size in the pots. They’ll grow quickly and cover the space shown in the planting map. (Maps included only with Pre-Planned Gardens, not Collections.)
Fertilizing: Once annually in mid-fall, after plants begin to go dormant. Use Yum Yum Mix or Yum Yum Mix Winterizer at recommended rates to improve the soil and provide essential plant nutrients.Use it with high quality compost, mix half and half by volume and spread on top of the soil. Scratch it in lightly and water thoroughly. It is also beneficial to treat the plant roots with Plant Success® mycorrhizal root inoculant if you didn’t do so at planting time. (Inoculation only needs to be done once.)
Mulching: In arid climates mulching is very beneficial. Coarse textured composts, shredded leaves, pine needles and composted bark are all excellent mulch materials. Apply to a depth of 1-2 inches. Replenish annually (or as needed).
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Spring-Planted Perennial and Bulb orders will ship from February 27-June 30, warmest zones first. Most plant orders will arrive within 3-4 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs Will ship at planting time in spring 2017, beginning in late February.
Wildflower Seed & Grass Seed Orders ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone