by High Country Gardens
Heat-Loving Perennials For Planting In Early Summer
Different groups of plants grow best at different times of the year.
In my general observations, I have noted that:
- Perennials from cold climates (zones 3-4) prefer to grow most actively when temperatures are cool. Oriental poppies are a prime example. They begin growing in early spring as soon as the soil thaws. After flowering in late spring, they will go dormant in the heat of summer. Then they sprout new leaves in the cool of fall to begin the cycle once more.
- Perennials from hot summer regions, such as the Great Plains and the Southwestern United States, wait for the warmth of late spring before they begin growing. Leary of frost, these plants wait for the nights to begin to warm and the days heat up before their season starts. Flowering occurs during the heat of summer and early fall.
It's these perennials and warm season ornamental grasses are excellent choices for planting in June. They grow well when the summer heat is on. To ensure success, follow these suggestions:
- Be sure to water summer transplants regularly. And soak the soil long enough to push the water deep where the roots will follow.
- Mulch where appropriate. In the Intermountain, California, PNW, Great Plains and Mid-Western states, summer mulching is an effective technique for keeping the soil moister and cooler for roots to grow their best. In hot, very humid, wetter climates, mulching may not be beneficial because of the potential for crown and root diseases.
Plants That Thrive With Warm Weather Planting
Here is a list of Plants for June Transplanting:
- Hummingbird Mints (Agastache)
- Purple Coneflower (Echinacea)
- Blanket Flower (Gaillardia)
- Perennial Sunflower (Helianthus maximiliana)
- Blazing Star (Liatris)
- Salvias such as: Salvia 'Maraschino', 'Ultra Violet','Furman's Red'
- Beardtongue (Penstemon)
- Golden Rod (Solidago)
- Lavender (Lavandula)
- Tickseed (Coreopsis)
Agastache x ‚Kudos™ Silver Blue‚ PP#25,344 (Dwarf Hummingbird Mint) blooms non-stop from late spring to fall with blue blooms. Fragrant foliage and a compact form are p...Learn MoreKudos™ Silver Blue Agastache Kudos™ Silver Blue Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache Kudos™ 'Silver Blue' PP#25,344$12.99 Sale $11.04Sale Price I Save 15%Per Plant - 5" Deep PotAgastache x 'Kudos™ Silver Blue' PP#25,344 (Dwarf Hummingbird Mint) blooms non-stop from late spring to fall with blue blooms. Fragrant foliage and a compact form are perfect for a sidewalk garden, containers, or small gardens.
Our Agastache Collection is a showcase of four bestselling Agastache cultivars. Also known as Hummingbird Mint, these showy, fragrant, long-blooming perennials are essential for wate...Learn MoreAgastache Collection Hummingbird Mint Collection (Hyssop) Agastache Collection$52.99Per Collection of 4Our Agastache Collection is a showcase of four bestselling Agastache cultivars. Also known as Hummingbird Mint, these showy, fragrant, long-blooming perennials are essential for waterwise pollinator gardens, and they’re a magnet for hummingbirds. Their airy, fragrant foliage will delight the senses, while deterring deer and rabbits. A showcase of garden superstars, this collection is perfect for beginning gardeners and Agastache enthusiasts alike. Collection of 4 plants.
Agastache Ava is one of High Country Gardens very best plant introductions, renowned for its tall spikes of deep rose-pink flowers held by raspberry-red calyxes. This vigorous hybrid...Learn MoreAva Agastache Ava's Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache AvaAs low as $14.99Per Plant - 5" Deep PotAgastache Ava is one of High Country Gardens very best plant introductions, renowned for its tall spikes of deep rose-pink flowers held by raspberry-red calyxes. This vigorous hybrid Hummingbird Mint blooms for many months beginning in mid-summer. 2005 Plant of the Year.
Agastache hybrid ‚Kudos™ Mandarin‚ PP#25,381 (Hummingbird Mint) has showy, bright-orange flowers on short flower spikes which are highly attractive to hummingbirds. It...Learn MoreKudos™ Mandarin Agastache Kudos™ Mandarin Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache Kudos™ Mandarin PP#25,381As low as $14.99Per Plant - 5" Deep PotAgastache hybrid 'Kudos™ Mandarin' PP#25,381 (Hummingbird Mint) has showy, bright-orange flowers on short flower spikes which are highly attractive to hummingbirds. Its compact size and bushy habit gives it a neat and tidy appearance, while it blooms from early summer through September.
- 'Blonde Ambition' Blue Grama Grass (Bouteloua gracillis)
- 'Hachita' Blue Grama Grass (Bouteloua gracillis)
- Muhly Grass (Muhlenbergia)
- Prairie Switch Grass (Panicum virgatum)
- Big Bluestem Grass (Andopogon gerardii)
- Little Bluestem Grass (Schizachyrium scoparium)
- 'Windbreaker' Giant Sacaton Grass (Sporobolus wrightii)
Cacti and Succulents
- Hedgehog (Echinocereus weedenii and Echinocereus canus)
- Spiny Star (Escobaria and Coryphantha)
- Century Plant (Agave)
- Yucca (Blue Doll House)
Shrubs and Small Trees
- Sand Sage (Artemisia filifolia)
- Fernbush (Chamaebatiaria millifolium)
- Desert Willow (Chilopsis)
- Groundcover Sand Cherry (Prunus besseyi 'Pawnee Buttes')
- New Mexico Privet (Forestiera neomexicana)
© All articles are copyrighted by High Country Gardens. Republishing an entire High Country Gardens blog post or article is prohibited without permission. Please feel free to share a short excerpt with a link back to the article on social media websites, such as Facebook and Pinterest.