by High Country Gardens
Agastache 'Red Happiness' (Red Happiness Hybrid Hummingbird Mint)
This true red-flowered Hummingbird Mint appeared as a volunteer seedling in one of my xeric gardens several years ago. It came up in a very shady, dry spot under a Desert Hackberry and the plant was struggling. But it's unusual flower color caught my eye and I took some cuttings so I could test the plant in other sunnier, not-so-hostile locations.
Why the Name 'Red Happiness'?
Wow! Happiness was the theme of the day when the new plants came into full flower and I could really see what it could do. The plant blooms with red flowers, which are very rare in the genus. Hence 'Red Happiness' was put into production for release this fall 2014. (Note that in really hot weather, the color fades a bit to dusky-red, but deeper red returns as the temperatures cool.)
How Does it Do in the Garden?
I'm not sure of the parentage, but I believe it probably involves three native species. (I have a lot of Agastache in all my gardens, so there are many opportunities for cross-pollination.) Here's more about 'Red Happiness':
- It has excellent hybrid vigor and good cold hardiness (Zones 5-10).
- Is medium sized, reaching 28-32" in height.
- Has summer long bloom when deadheaded.
- Grows mid-green leaves that have a pleasant minty scent.
- Is very attractive to hummingbirds (Hybrid Agastache seem to have increased nectar production over un-hybridized species.)
'Red Happiness' is adaptable in its growing conditions thriving in lean to average, loamy garden soils as long as the drainage is good. Stay out of the clay! So we have a wide range of companion plants to choose from. The red flowers seem to look particularly nice with yellow flowers. Blue is really nice too.
I like the following companions:
- Sterntaler Tickseed (Coreopsis lanceolata 'Sterntaler) - a great German strain of Tickseed (loosely translates "Gold Coin") with deep yellow flowers and a bronze eye.
- Evening Primrose (Oenothera missouriensis) - big, bright yellow parasol-like flowers open up in the afternoon and the plants make a nice lower growing skirt around the Agastache.
- Butterscotch Baby African Daisy (Gazania 'Butterscotch Baby') - the wonder butterscotch yellow flowers are delight with red. A small perennial, it makes a great low growing companion in front of 'Red Happiness.'
- Walker's Low Catmint (Nepeta 'Walker's Low') - big lavender-blue plants go behind 'Red Happiness' and highlight the red flowers for you to enjoy.
- English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) - I always plant Lavender with Agastache because blue is such a great combination with all the different Agastache flower colors.
- Purple Sensation Ornamental onion (Allium 'Purple sensation') - big purple globes provide a sensational combination with red.
Fall Planting Agastache
- I don't like to fall plant Agastache in zone 5 because there is not enough warm weather to grow the crown.
- Zone 6 and warmer are ideal for fall planting 'Red Happiness' and will help you to establish a bigger plant with more flowering spikes next year.
- In dry winter climates, be sure there is a nice wide saucer (well) to hold irrigation water.
- Mulch the saucer with at least on inch of mulch material.
- Remember to water once every two to four weeks when the day temperatures warm to 45 ° F.
- Leave the stems standing to increase winter hardiness.
© All articles are copyrighted by High Country Gardens. Republication is prohibited without permission.
Blue Blazes is a large growing hybrid hummingbird mint with lavender-purple flower spikes. Very long blooming, its flowers attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees making it an es...Learn MoreAgastache Blue Blazes Blue Blazes Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache Blue BlazesRegular Price $9.99 Sale $8.99Per Plant - 5" Deep PotYou save: 10%Blue Blazes is a large growing hybrid hummingbird mint with lavender-purple flower spikes. Very long blooming, its flowers attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees making it an essential perennial for pollinators.Learn More
Try four different customer-favorite Agastache varieties in this Agastache Collection and you'll draw plenty of hummingbirds to your yard. Drought resistant/drought tolerant plant (x...Learn MoreHummingbird Mint Hyssop Collection (Agastache) Hummingbird Mint Hyssop Collection (Agastache)Regular Price $40.96 Sale $36.86Per Collection of 4You save: 10%Try four different customer-favorite Agastache varieties in this Agastache Collection and you'll draw plenty of hummingbirds to your yard. Drought resistant/drought tolerant plant (xeric).Learn More
Agastache Ava is one of High Country Gardens very best plant introductions, renowned for its tall spikes of deep rose-pink flowers held by raspberry-red calyxes. This vigorous hybrid...Learn MoreAgastache Ava Ava's Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache AvaAs low as $11.99 Sale $10.79Per Plant - 5" Deep PotAgastache Ava is one of High Country Gardens very best plant introductions, renowned for its tall spikes of deep rose-pink flowers held by raspberry-red calyxes. This vigorous hybrid Hummingbird Mint blooms for many months beginning in mid-summer. 2005 Plant of the Year.Learn More
The flower spikes of Agastache Desert Solstice (Desert Solstice Hummingbird Mint) are remarkable for their fullness, large size, and exotic colorization. The plant is like a semi-dwa...Learn MoreAgastache Desert Solstice Desert Solstice Hummingbird Mint (Hyssop) Agastache Desert SolsticeAs low as $11.99 Sale $10.79Per Plant - 5" Deep PotThe flower spikes of Agastache Desert Solstice (Desert Solstice Hummingbird Mint) are remarkable for their fullness, large size, and exotic colorization. The plant is like a semi-dwarf form of our best selling 'Desert Sunrise' but with more flowers. A High Country Gardens introduction.Learn More