Gift Cards | Gardening Tips | Free Catalog | Email Sign-Up |
Recently added item(s)
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Low Work and Water Dwarf Fescue Grass Seed
Most orders ship within 5 business days.
Availability: In stock
(based on 5 reviews)
of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
Reviewed by 5 customers
Displaying reviews 1-5
Back to top
too early to tell
By the slug
from Lancaste, PA
About Me Avid Gardener
Comments about High Country Gardens Low Work and Water Dwarf Fescue Grass Seed:
I have used this in 2 ways. one is a monoculture path about 6'wide and 40' long. Seeded last fall. Still not thick enough to keep from being weedy. Plan to mow weeds, maybe spot treat and wait.the other way I have used is overseeing an older lawn. This looks promising. i actually sowed no mow grass with this as well. i think I will like this, but needs another year or 2 to mature.
Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
Was this review helpful? Yes / No
- You may also flag this review
3rd season and it has filled in nicely
'Low work and water' is just that once it has established itself. It takes a bit more work to prep/level the soil and re-seeding the lawn helps cover any bare areas. 3rd season and the lawn just gets better and better.
(3 of 4 customers found this review helpful)
Low Work and Water
from Salem Oregon
I ordered this lawn seed from High Country Gardens two years ago it's actually a mix of two different varieties. We installed it last year and it's growing well. Unfortunately, one of the varieties in the mix grows much taller than the other and has a much wider and tuffer blade, so we find ourselves mowing as often as we did before.
Less mowing pays for itself
from Dayton, Ohio
About Me Getting Started
The product has been great and the service from the company is even greater.
(4 of 4 customers found this review helpful)
Love this stuff
had a bare spot where a swing set previously had been. Seeded about a 10X20 ft space. Really pleased with results.
Grass Seed Step-by-Step Planting Instructions
1. Preparing the area for planting. We recommend leveling the planting area as much as possible to eliminate high or low spots. Till the soil if possible about 4-6 inches deep, as the soil should be loose and clump-free before planting. If your area is already somewhat bare and even, we recommend skipping the tilling process as it can promote new weed growth or unwanted grass growth. You can then add Plant Success Granular Mycorrhizal Root Inoculant to improve seed germination.
2. After your soil is prepared, apply the seed at the recommended rate. Planting rates vary depending on the size of the seed:
To make sure you’re spreading the seed evenly, scatter 1/2 of the seed walking north to south and 1/2 of the seed walking east to west.
3. If you have poor soil, you could lightly apply an organic fertilizer after seeding, although this is not a necessary step for strong growth. We recommend using Yum Yum mix to amend your soil.
4. Many choose to cover their grass seed after planting, even though this is not necessary. If you do choose to cover your seed to help retain moisture and hold the seed in place, we recommend a maximum depth of 1/4”. You can cover the seed with topsoil, clean wheat or barley straw, or peat moss. Coated seeds such as Bermuda and Clover seeds should not be covered more than an 1/8” deep.
5. Water gently and regularly, keeping the seeds moist until they begin to sprout. This could mean watering more than once a day if you’re having a dry spell. Once the seeds sprout, water deeply and less frequently. This helps to ensure a deep rooted, healthy lawn or meadow.
6. Do not mow until your lawn is at the recommended height. For most grasses, this is about 3-6 weeks after planting, but could be longer depending on growing conditions. Remember to be gentle when mowing the first few times -- the seedlings will be somewhat tender.
7. After mowing several times, you can apply an organic fertilizer to promote strong growth, but this is not a necessary step.
Remember: It may take weeks or even a month for the seeds to grow.
Most orders ship within 5 business days.
As soon as your order is placed you will receive a confirmation email. You will receive a second email the day your order ships telling you how it has been sent. Orders for in-season products ship within 5 business days. Depending upon your order date, we may hold your shipment to combine it with other products on your order, if applicable.
See our Shipping Information page for more detailed information. If you need express shipping or have any questions, please call Customer Service toll-free at (877) 270-5187 or Contact Us by email.
Email to a Friend
Dog Tuff ™ African Dogtooth Grass Plugs
No Mow Lawn Grass Seed
Blue Grama Grass
has been added to your cart.