High Country Gardens Shipping
Planting & Shipping Information
Packing & Shipping Charges
Our standard shipping charges are the best value in the plant business. We offer three day select shipping for standard ground rates!
Your plant orders are scheduled to arrive at your door, fresh and ready to plant, within 3 days or less of leaving our greenhouses. We cannot guarantee arrival on a specific day.
|$1.00 – 4.99||$4.99|
|$5 – 9.99||$6.99|
|$10 – 19.99||$8.99|
|$20 – 29.99||$9.99|
|$30 – 59.99||$11.99|
|$60 – 99.99||$13.99|
|Greater than $100||15%|
Plant Shipping Methods
We use FedEx and the US Post Office to ship our orders.
- Your order arrives fresh and ready to plant.
- Plant orders arrive packed in our specially designed shipping boxes with our complete Planting Guide and helpful hints for transplanting your new plants. We have designed our own custom shipping boxes to hold your plants snugly and securely. No styrofoam peanuts!
- Orders are shipped throughout the week.
Spring-planted Bulbs and Perennials
Spring-planted bulbs and Spring-planted perennials will start shipping the week of February 29, based on ground temperatures, warmest zones first. Spring shipping runs through June 30, 2016. If you wish to have your plants ship earlier than suggested for your zone, please contact customer service.
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15Â°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone
Amaryllis and Fall-Planted Bulbs
Amaryllis and Fall-Planted Bulbs will ship through December 31, 2015.
Wildflower Seed and Grass Seed
Garden goods, gifts and books ship all year long.
If you have more questions please feel free to call us at (800) 925-9387 (M-F 7 am - 7 pm) or by email.
|Zone||Spring Shipping Dates|
|3-4||May 16 - June 30|
|5||May 2 - June 30|
|6||April 11 - June 19|
|7||March 28 - May 29|
|8||March 7 - May 15|
|9 - 11||Feb. 29 - May 8|
|Zone||Fall Bulb Shipping Dates|
|3 - 4||Sept. 14 â€“ Dec. 31|
|5||Sept. 21 â€“ Dec. 31|
|6||Sept. 21 â€“ Dec. 31|
|7||Sept. 28 â€“ Dec. 31|
|8||Oct. 5 â€“ Dec. 31|
|9||Oct. 19 â€“ Dec. 31|
|10 - 11||Oct. 19 â€“ Dec. 31|
Shipping for grass plugs begins February 29, based on zone. Shipping concludes Sept. 1 - Nov. 13, depending on zone.
Buffalo Grass Plugs are shipped within 5-8 business days.
|Zone||Grass Plug Suggested Ship Week|
|2||May 16 - Aug. 1|
|3||May 9 - Aug. 22|
|4||May 2 - Sept. 5|
|5||May 2 - Sept. 12|
|6||April 18 - Sept. 19|
|7||April 4 - Oct. 3|
|8||March 14 - Oct. 17|
|9||March 7 - Oct. 17|
|10-12||Feb. 29 - Nov. 14|
Your advance order allows us to make growing commitments for our perennial nurseries and Dutch bulb growers. As has been traditional in the mail-order business for many years, your credit card is charged when you place your order through our secure servers. This allows us to accurately project inventory. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
About Our Plants
- All our plants are grown in pots. We don't sell or recommend bare-root perennials or shrubs for planting in harsh western climates.
- Our potted plants arrive fully rooted, healthy and take off fast!
- Perennials will not grow as rapidly as annual flowers. Planted in the garden, most perennials will require 2-3 growing seasons to reach the mature size listed in the plant description.
- Patience, good soil preparation and attention to new transplants will reward you with much pleasure and beauty over the years.
- Our plant pot sizes are shown at right. Most of our plants are sold in Premium 5" deep (1.5 pint volume) pots, unless otherwise noted in the plant description. Other sizes are 2.5" standard pots and 2.25" cactus pots.