Pink Wild Snapdragon
Details4-5' tall x 24" wide (seed propagated). This is a very heat tolerant beardtongue, native to NM and AZ. One of the few fragrant Penstemons, it blooms with gigantic spikes of large, light pink flowers in early summer. Distinctive gray foliage. Must be grown in sandy or gravelly soils, not in tight clay. Not suited to areas receiving more than 15-18" of rainfall annually!
75755 (Plant - 2.5" deep pot) - Out of stock.
HBLXS51 (Plant - 5" deep pot) - Out of stock.
|Common Name||Pink Wild Snapdragon|
|Botanical Name||Penstemon palmeri|
|Zones||4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun|
|Mature Height||4-5' tall|
|Mature Spread||24" wide|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer, Fall|
|Soil Type||Sandy Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Very Drought Resistant / Very Waterwise|
|Amount of Rain||Less than 10" (with irrigation), 10 to 20", 20 to 30"|
|Advantages||Deer Resistant, Attract Hummingbirds, Rabbit Resistant, Fragrant Flower / Foliage, Native, Evergreen|
|Ideal Region||Western Only, Hot Desert, Southwest, West|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Tips for growing Penstemon (Beardtongue)
Penstemon are generally evergreen and have beautiful flowers that are very attractive to hummingbirds. Most varieties are rabbit resistant.
- They need “elbow room,” maximum sun, heat and don’t like to be crowded by other plants.
- Plant only in well-drained soils; clay soils and Penstemon are incompatible.
- Avoid overly enriched soils; too much compost and fertilizer will shorten their lifespan.
- They establish quickly and the amount and frequency of watering needs to be reduced after about 8 to 10 weeks to create dry conditions.
- When using drip irrigation, be sure to put the emitter off to the side of the plant, not right on top of the root ball to avoid overwatering the plant.
- Plant high, leaving the top of the rootball just above the surrounding soil to avoid burying the crown of the plant.
- Mulch with gravel or pine needles in arid climates. No mulch is needed where conditions are moister. Always avoid bark, grass clippings, or compost as mulch materials.
- Allow some of the plants to set seed (don't deadhead all of the flower spikes)*.
- Fertilize sparingly. One time each year in the fall is enough. Apply a light application of an organic or natural fertilizer such as Yum Yum Mix as a top dressing around the plants. Don't use high nitrogen water soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro
*To keep penstemon that have finely textured or matted evergreen foliage looking their best, you'll want to 'deadhead" them. Shear off the fading flowering spikes just as the plant is going out of flower. Gently bunch the flower spikes together with one hand and cut them off at the point where they go down into the mat of foliage with your clipper in your other hand. Recommended for the following varieties: P. pinifolius types (‘Compactum', ‘Mersea Yellow', ‘Nearly Red', ‘Magdalena Sunshine' and ‘Tall Orange Mix'), as well as Penstemon linarioides v. coloradensis and Penstemon virens ('Blue Lips').
More in-depth guidance for growing Penstemon: Watch our video: How To Plant Penstemon or read articles: Growing Penstemon, Penstemon for the Waterwise Garden, David’s Favorite Plants: Pineleaf Beardtongue, The Beardtongue Family: Penstemania for Penstemon and The Genus Penstemon: The Royalty of American Wildflowers The Genus Penstemon: The Royalty of American Wildflowers (Part 2).
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Spring-Planted Perennial and Bulb orders will ship from February 27-June 30, warmest zones first. Most plant orders will arrive within 3-4 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs Will ship at planting time in spring 2017, beginning in late February.
Wildflower Seed & Grass Seed Orders ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
REVIEW SNAPSHOT®by PowerReviews
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about High Country Gardens Penstemon palmeri:
I love this plant! It does very well in my garden in SE Wyoming. I let it reseed itself and then move the new plants all over the garden. Large flowers but mine have only reached maybe 2 feet in height. My only negative is that I wish it bloomed longer. Very showy in the garden!
- Primary use:
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone