Hedeoma hyssopifolia Profuse Pink
Profuse Pink Aromatic False Pennyroyal
Details12-15" wide by 10-12" tall. Hedeoma hyssopifolia Profuse Pink (Aromatic False Pennyroyal) is an outstanding selection of an uncommon western native species that blooms all summer with hundreds of small, pink nectar-rich flowers. Growing as a tidy mound of fine-textured foliage, it is an excellent plant for hot, dry planting sites. The flowers are a favorite of the bumblebees. Selected by David Salman, HCG Chief Horticulturist, from a large group of plants propagated from cuttings collected in the Chiricahua Mountains of southeastern AZ.
|Common Name||Profuse Pink Aromatic False Pennyroyal|
|Botanical Name||Hedeoma hyssopifolius Profuse Pink|
|Zones||5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun|
|Mature Height||10-12" tall|
|Mature Spread||12-15" wide|
|Bloom Time||Late spring through summer|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer, Fall|
|Soil Type||Sandy Soil, Low Fertility Soil, Well-Drained Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Drought Resistant / Waterwise|
|Amount of Rain||10 to 20", 20 to 30", 30 to 40" (with care)|
|Advantages||Deer Resistant, Bee Friendly, Rabbit Resistant, Native, Extended Bloom Time (more than 4 weeks)|
|Ideal Region||Western Only, Southwest, West, Pacific Northwest|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Tips On Growing Hedeoma (False Pennyroyal)
Hedeoma (False Pennyroyal) is a genus of native North American perennials, with some species also found in South America.
Preferred growing conditions:
- Plant in infertile (lean), fast-draining soils. Not suitable for clay soils.
- Enjoys full sun to partial shade exposure.
- Water transplants regularly for the first growing season and provide drier conditions once established.
- Hedeoma are generally long blooming and don't need to be deadheaded.
- Fertilize lightly in the fall with Yum Yum Mix.
- Leave standing over the winter and cut back just above the crown in mid-spring.
- A favorite plant of bumblebees, it is an excellent companion plant for Lavender, which are also a favorite nectar source for bumble and honey bees.
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Spring-Planted Perennial and Bulb orders will ship from February 27-June 30, warmest zones first. Most plant orders will arrive within 3-4 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs Will ship at planting time in spring 2017, beginning in late February.
Wildflower Seed & Grass Seed Orders ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone