DetailsA choice Sandwort that grows like a patch of silver-green lichen; its tiny, triangular leaves form a hard mat of foliage. Native to the mountains of Spain, it blooms in summer with minute white flowers.
|Common Name||Spanish Sandwort|
|Botanical Name||Arenaria alfacarensis|
|Zones||5, 6, 7, 8|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun, Morning Sun & Afternoon Shade|
|Mature Height||2" tall|
|Mature Spread||6" wide|
|Bloom Time||Early to late summer|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Soil Type||Average Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Drought Resistant / Waterwise|
|Amount of Rain||10 to 20", 20 to 30", 30 to 40" (with care)|
|Advantages||Extended Bloom Time (more than 4 weeks), Rabbit Resistant|
|Ideal Region||Southeast, Hot Desert, Anywhere In The US|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Tips On Growing Baptisia (False Indigo)
Baptisia (False Indigo) are native prairie plants known for their showy flowers and ornamental seed pods.
Preferred Growing Gonditions:
- Plant in most any soil including clay, but avoid wet, low areas.
- Baptisia needs full sun.
- No mulch is needed for these perennials.
- Water regularly the first growing season then much less often during second growing season and beyond.
- Plants in this genus are legumes and need no additional fertilizer.
- Seed heads are ornamental, so deadheading is optional; the plant won't re-bloom. Cut back to the ground in early to mid-spring.
- Plants have large tap roots and should not be divided or transplanted once established.
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Fall shipping begins the week of September 6, zones 3-4 first. Most plant orders arrive within 3-5 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs & Seed: Most orders ship within 5-8 business days (all zones).
Gardening Goods:All non-plant items ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone