Ajuga reptans Black Scallop
Black Scallop Bugleweed
Details4-6" tall x 12-15" wide. Ajuga Black Scallop (Black Scallop Bugleweed) is an easily grown groundcover, with glossy, dark-burgundy foliage and bright-blue late-spring flowers. Use this perennial as a foliar foil for blue or gray leaved semi-shade loving companion plants, such as Festuca 'Siskiyou Blue' or Stachys 'Helen von Stein' to highlight this plant's unusual foliage. This unusual form of groundcover Ajuga works well in most any soil in either shade and semi-shade.
|Common Name||Black Scallop Bugleweed|
|Botanical Name||Ajuga reptans Black Scallop|
|Zones||4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9|
|Light Requirements||Morning Sun & Afternoon Shade, Full Shade|
|Mature Height||4-6" tall|
|Mature Spread||12-15" wide|
|Bloom Time||Late spring to early summer|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer|
|Soil Type||Clay Soil, Sandy Soil, Average Soil, Compost Enriched Garden Loam Soil, Low Fertility Soil, Well-Drained Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Average, Moist/Wet|
|Amount of Rain||20 to 30", 30 to 40", 40 to 50"|
|Advantages||Deer Resistant, Rabbit Resistant, Tolerates Foot Traffic|
|Ideal Region||Anywhere In The US, Southeast|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Planting and Growing Ajuga (Bugleweed)
Ajuga (Bugleweed) a genus of Old World shade-loving groundcovers with showy blue flowers.
- Grows well in most any soil including clay. Plant in partial sun to full shade. Dark foliage types color up best with some morning sun. Mulching is not necessary.
- Keep regularly watered to maintain moderate soil moisture.
- Deadhead after blooming. Large patches can be deadheaded by mowing. Tolerates foot traffic.
- Fertilize lightly in fall with Yum Yum Mix/compost blend.
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Spring-Planted Perennial and Bulb orders will ship from February 27-June 30, warmest zones first. Most plant orders will arrive within 3-4 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs Will ship at planting time in spring 2017, beginning in late February.
Wildflower Seed & Grass Seed Orders ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone