Large Flowered Stonecress
Details3-4" x 6-7" wide. Aethionema grandiflorum (Persian Stonecress) covers itself from spring to summer with fragrant soft pink flowers held over evergreen, bright blue foliage. Unusual papery seed pods follow after, extending the season of interest. A neat grower that forms small mounds of compact stems, this wildflower is excellent for the hot summer garden as it will thrive in sunny, dry growing conditions once established. Great for a rock garden. Leave the seed heads to encourage re-seeding.
|Common Name||Large Flowered Stonecress|
|Botanical Name||Aethionema grandiflora|
|Zones||4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun|
|Mature Height||3-4" tall|
|Mature Spread||6-7" wide|
|Bloom Time||Late spring|
|Ships As||Potted Plant|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer|
|Soil Type||Sandy Soil, Average Soil, Low Fertility Soil, Well-Drained Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Drought Resistant / Waterwise|
|Amount of Rain||10 to 20", 20 to 30", 30 to 40"|
|Advantages||Deer Resistant, Rabbit Resistant, Groundcover|
|Ideal Region||Western Only, Southwest, West, Pacific Northwest|
|Neonicotinoid-Free||Yes - Learn More|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Tips For Growing Aethionema (Stonecress)
Aethionema (Stonecress) is a genus of Old World perennials with evergreen foliage and fragrant pink flowers.
Preferred growing conditions:
- Plant in a fast draining, infertile soil with full sun. Mulch with gravel.
- Keep regularly watered for the first growing season to establish the roots. Infrequent but deep watering thereafter.
- Deadhead after flowering to keep the foliage tidy.
- Fertilize lightly in fall with Yum Yum Mix.
- Evergreen foliage doesn't like to be cut back unless removing occasional winter killed branches.
View more Planting Guides, or download our complete Planting Guide for tips on caring for your plants when you receive your order, as well as planting instructions for Perennials, Spring-Planted Bulbs, Fall-Planted Bulbs, Cacti & Succulents, Xeric Plants and more.
Plant Shipping: Buy now and we will ship your order at the ideal planting time for your region. Spring-Planted Perennial and Bulb orders will ship from February 27-June 30, warmest zones first. Most plant orders will arrive within 3-4 days, or less, of leaving our greenhouses. This prompt delivery is provided without additional express charges.
Grass Plugs Will ship at planting time in spring 2017, beginning in late February.
Wildflower Seed & Grass Seed Orders ship within 2-3 days.
Standard shipping costs are $4.99 and up, depending on the size of the order.
Make Fast Even Faster: For ‘Rush’ same week delivery, please call customer service at 800-925-9387.
Q & A
Suggested Companion Plants:
USDA Hardiness Planting Zones
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
- If the coldest winter temperature expected in your area is -15°F (zone 5) then any plants rated zones 3-5 will survive the winter temperatures in your area.
- If you live in very warm winter areas (zones 9-11) plants with zones 3-4 ratings are not recommended. The lack of freezing winter temperatures do not provide a time for winter dormancy (rest).
Find Your Planting Zone:
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone